On This Day: 2011 A-League Grand Final Winners

On this day in 2011, Ange Postecoglou led Brisbane Roar to a Grand Final victory that will be forever remembered as one of the greatest days in A-League history.

Goals from Henrique and Erik Paartalu saw the Roar claw their way back from two goals down in extra time before the Slippery Fish netted the winning penalty in the shootout to seal the Roar’s first ever Championship win.

The 90 minutes of regular time ended in a deadlock with both teams failing to score. It wasn’t until the 96th minute in extra time did a team strike.

Mariners opened the scoring with a scrappy goal that came from a corner. The goal was the result of the ball landing at the feet of Adam Kwasnik after a save by Michael Theoklitos, who was able to score to give the Mariners the lead.

The Mariners second was similar to their first, in that it again fell to a Mariners shirt after a great stop from Theoklitos, however this time it was passed across goal to Oliver Bozanic who slotted it into the net.

Brisbane scored their first goal of the match in the 117th minute after the ball was passed to Henrique on the edge of the box, who then side footed the ball into the net giving Brisbane the motivation they needed to get back into the game.

Brisbane’s equaliser came thanks to a corner at the death which was crossed in by Thomas Broich and was nodded home by Erik Paartalu in what would prove to be the last kick of the game.

Immediately after Paartalu’s last minute heroics, the full-time whistle blew, signifying that it was time for the penalty shoot-out.

Both Brisbane and Mariners showed composure as they converted their first two penalties.

Mariners were the first to blink however as striker Daniel Mcbreen had his shot tipped beyond the post.

Brisbane saw an advantage and took it by scoring their next penalty and saving the second Mariners shot in a row.

With these two costly mistakes from Central Coast Mariners, Brisbane’s first goal scorer Henrique stepped up to the penalty spot. Needing to score to win the match, Henrique placed it just beyond the keepers reach, winning the title for Brisbane and completing an incredible comeback. Brisbane Roar defeated Central Coast Mariners 4-2 on penalties.

A-League Men 2011/12 – Grand Final: Brisbane Roar v Central Coast Mariners
Suncorp Stadium, Milton
Sunday, 13 March
Brisbane Roar – 2 (HENRIQUE 117′, Erik PAARTALU 120′)
Central Coast Mariners- 2 (Adam KWASNIK 96′, Oliver BOZANIC 103′)

Brisbane Roar line-up: 1. Michael THEOKLITOS (GK), 2. Matt SMITH, 4. Shane STEFANUTTO, 5. Ivan FRANJIC, 6. Erik PAARTALU, 7. Kosta BARBAROUSES, (10. HENRIQUE 71′), 9. Jean Carlos SOLORZANO, 15. Matt McKAY (c), 17. Mitch NICHOLS, (8. Massimo MURDOCCA 82′), 22. Thomas BROICH, 23. Milan SUSAK, (14. Rocky VISCONTE 101′)

Substitutes not used: 12. Matt MUNDY, 20. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK)

Central Coast Mariners line-up: 3. Joshua ROSE, 4. Pedj BOJIC, 6. Patrick ZWAANSWIJK, 8. Rostyn GRIFFITHS, (24. Bernie IBINI-ISEI 89′), 11. Oliver BOZANIC, 14. Michael McGLINCHEY, 18. Alex WILKINSON (c), 19. Matt SIMON, (2. Daniel McBREEN 72′), 20. Mathew RYAN (GK), 22. Mustafa AMINI, (7. John HUTHINSON 60′), 23. Adam KWASNIK

Manager: Graham ARNOLD
Substitutes not used: 17. Chris DOIG, 30. Paul HENDERSON