Points shared in thriller

The Brisbane Roar Youth League squad has dented Gold Coast United’s push for a finals spot, grabbing a point in a highly entertaining 2-2 draw at Spencer Park.

The Brisbane Roar Youth League squad has dented Gold Coast United-s push for a finals spot, grabbing a point in a highly entertaining 2-2 draw at Spencer Park.

Brisbane Roar made a lively start to the game with Isaka Cernak bursting down the right flank and feeding Matt McKay in the fourth minute.

McKay-s shot-cum-pass found its way to the feet of Tim Smits, but the striker just failed to beat Gold Coast goalkeeper Jerrad Tyson from a tight angle.

The Roar were even closer to the opening goal from the ensuing corner, a Luke DeVere and Matt Mundy combination rebounding off the post and finding a relieved Tyson.

Roar captain Luke Brattan was the next to threaten, blasting the ball just over the bar after pouncing on a deflected Josh McVey shot.

United struck back on the 15th minute mark, Roar ‘keeper Matthew Acton doing well to turn former Roar flyer Tahj Minniecon-s fierce shot behind for a corner.

The United woodwork again haunted the home side six minutes later, a strong Tim Smits header from a Brattan corner beating everything but the crossbar.

The corner count was beginning to stack up against the away side and an unmarked Smits nearly took advantage with another header, Tyson diving to his left to make the save.

Fifteen minutes before half-time the Roar finally broke the deadlock, McVey finishing clinically after being played in by Smits.

United barely had a chance to restart the game before the Roar were threatening again, Mitch Nichols screwing his shot just wide after being found at the top of the box by McVey.

The Roar were dominating the latter stages of the half, McVey failing to finish a great movement started by Cernak and involving Smits.

United were gifted a glorious opportunity to level the match in the 40th minute, awarded a penalty after the onrushing Andrew Barisic was brought down by Acton.

But the Roar custodian more than made amends for his mistake, saving twice from penalty taker Chris Harold before saving Koh Satake- s follow up header.

In an entertaining end to the half, Mitch Nichols almost doubled the Roar-s advantage before United-s Harold slipped his shot wide of the mark.

The Roar started the second half with a bang, McVey and Brattan combining before the captain skipped past Steve Fitzsimmons and blasted the ball into the back of the net.

The Roar strikers were hogging all the limelight, but Acton was making sure he was doing his job, strong off his line against Harold.

But the United marksman finally had his revenge in the 56th minute, pouncing on a Fitzsimmons long ball and prodding it past a helpless Acton.

The Roar quickly responded with Cernak running at the defence and firing a power-drive which was kept out only by the underside of the bar.

The United goal was living a charmed life, a Smits turn-and-shoot strike the next to be foiled by the away team-s framework.

United were starting to move the ball around and Fitzsimmons almost took advantage, his long shot superbly saved by the flying Acton.

Both teams were starting to feel the pressure in the final stages, a rebounded Acton clearance falling kindly to Harold, who blasted his shot straight at the Roar ‘keeper.

With only eight minute left in the match United found the equaliser, Harold arriving late at the far post and smashing a Halloran long throw past Acton.

The Roar were refusing to let the match slip away as Smits, McVey and Cernak all came close to regaining the lead for a second time.

Roar substitute Stefan Vrbesic had the last chance of the game, but his stinging shot was denied by the outstretched hand of Tyson.

Friday 19 February 2010

Brisbane Roar 2 (McVey 30-, Brattan 50-)

Gold Coast United 1 (Harold 56-, 82-)

Spencer Park

Referee: Jarred Gillett

Brisbane Roar Squad: 1. Matthew Acton (gk), 7. Luke Bratten (c), 2. Matthew Byrne, 13. Isaka Cernak, 6. Luke DeVere (2. Matthew Byrne 45-), 12. Kenneth Dougall, 11. Joshua McVey (3. Alistair Quinn 62-), 17. Mitch Nichols, 4. Michael Ryan, 5. Matt Mundy (11. Joshua McVey 72-), 8. Tim Smits, 15. Matt McKay (10. Stefan Vrbesic 58-)

Unused Substitute: 20. Luke Muir (gk)

Yellow Cards: Matthew Acton (gk) 40-

Red Cards:

Gold Coast United: 1. Jerrad Tyson (gk), 14. Joshua Brillante, 11. Ben Halloran (4. Neko Vujevich 62-), 9. Chris Harold, 8. Steven Lustica (c), 7. Tahj Minniecon, (11. Ben Halloran 68-) 10. Koh Satake, 2. Steven Topalovic (6. Mitchell Bevan 62-), 5. Benjamin Wearing, 12. Steve Fitzsimmons, 15. Andrew Barisic (13. Callum Hare 40-)

Unused Substitute: 20. Timothy Anderson (gk)

Yellow Cards: Mitchell Bevan 71-

Red Cards: