Roar’s finals chances dashed

Brisbane Roar’s finals aspirations have been extinguished following a disappointing 2-0 at Hindmarsh Stadium against Adelaide United.

Brisbane Roar-s finals aspirations have been extinguished following a disappointing 2-0 at Hindmarsh Stadium against Adelaide United.

Tommy Oar unleashed a thunderbolt from 25m after two minutes underlining Brisbane-s good start to the match, but the shot went wide of the goal.

However, it was the home side who took the lead in the seventh minute when a sweeping move down the field fell to the feet of the Roar-s growing nemesis Fabian Barbiero and he smashed the ball into the top of the net.

Brisbane then cut the Adelaide defence apart with a passing movement involving the left footed trio of Sergio van Dijk, Tommy Oar and Matt McKay.

McKay cut the ball to the top of the box to Reinaldo and the big Brazilian shied away from taking a shot with his left foot.

However, in cutting back onto his right gave the Adelaide defence the opportunity to smother his effort.

At times Brisbane were relying on scrambling defence to keep Adelaide at bay, using numbers and desperation to ensure they did not concede a second goal.

With nothing to lose, Adelaide were playing with purpose and the Roar found it difficult to contain the home side.

Oar signalled his intention to bring Brisbane back into the contest smashing the ball from 30m at the Adelaide goal which Eugene Galekovic touched over the bar.

Ivan Franjic looked to get the second half off with a bang, running more than half the field to fashion a long-range opportunity for himself.

The effort had Galekovic stranded but unfortunately for the young defender it also went wide of the goal.

Almost immediately at the other end Brisbane were punished for giving the ball away cheaply when Adelaide pounced to set up Lucas Pantelis to shoot with his right foot and he curled the ball into the corner of the goal.

Brisbane tried to respond, but they struggled to break down a resolute Adelaide defence.

As the half continued to tick away the Reds controlled the play, clearly not wanting to allow the away side back into the match.

Van Dijk took an ambitious attempt from a long distance free-kick but, despite catching his shot well, the ball dipped over the bar.

The big Dutch striker then had the final opportunity of the game for the Roar when he beat the Adelaide defence and on his right foot had his shot beaten away by Galekovic.

Brisbane coach Ange Postecoglou could only describe the feeling of seeing the club-s finals aspirations disappear as “disappointing”.

“Tonight was the biggest game of the season and we probably played our worst game of the season,” Postecoglou said.

“I think I need and we need to have a good look in the mirror and admit that performance just wasn-t good enough.

“Once we-ve done that we have to get back out on the track and work hard to make our next game a better performance.”

Saturday 6 February 2010
Adelaide United 2 (Fabian Barbiero 7-, Lucas Pantelis 51-)
Brisbane Roar 0
Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide
Gerard Parsons

Adelaide United squad: 1.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 2.Robert CORNTHWAITE, 4.Iain FYFE, 5.Daniel MULLEN, 7. Lucas PANTELIS (6.CASSIO 78), 10.Adam HUGHES (24. Marcos FLORES 60-), 13.Travis DODD (c), 14.Scott JAMIESON, 17.Michael MARRONE, 18.Fabian BARBIERO, 19.Mathew LECKIE.

Substitute not used: 11.Lloyd OWUSU, 20. Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk)

Yellow cards: Mathew LECKIE (35-), Iain FYFE (53-)

Red cards: Nil

Brisbane Roar squad: 1.Matt HAM (gk), 3.Luke DEVERE, 4.Pieter COLLEN, 7.Michael ZULLO, 9.Sergio VAN DIJK, 11.REINALDO, 13.HENRIQUE (2.Andrew PACKER 85-), 14.Adam SAROTA 8.Massimo MURDOCCA 65-), 15.Matt McKAY (c), 21.Tommy OAR (10.Steven BRYCE 65-), 22.Ivan FRANJIC.

Substitute not used: 20.Griffin McMASTER (gk)

Yellow cards: Matt McKAY (63-, 82-)

Red cards: Matt McKAY (82-)