Sky Blues, Roar share spoils


A depleted Sydney FC squad earned a well-deserved draw with the Brisbane Roar on Saturday afternoon as goals to Tameka Butt and Jasmyne Spencer saw the points shared at Lambert Park.

The Roar struck early in the second half through Tameka Butt after she sprung the offside trap to slot past Alyssa Harris but Sydney FC showed character however to fight back and earned a point courtesy of a wonder strike from American Jasmyne Spencer.

The first half started brightly for the Sky Blues with Chloe Logarzo flashing a ball just too far in front of Spencer in the opening minute before Bolger saw an effort from the edge of the area deflected wide.

Brisbane soon picked up the pace and peppered the Sydney FC area with a number of crosses with Alyssa Harris made to work as she produced a fantastic save to dive low at the feet of Tameka Butt when she bared down on goal.

A series of half chances followed for both sides however neither could carve out a clear opening and went into the break all square.

Brisbane Roar started the second half with plenty of pace as they forced an early chance through Gorry who volleyed wide from the penalty spot one minute after the restart.

The Roar looked the more likely to score early on before Chloe Logarzo created a chance for Sydney FC as she threaded through Servet Uzunlar, however the Matilda could only side foot the ball wide after she broke clear of the defence.

Tameka Butt finally broke the deadlock in the 65th minute as she neatly sprung the offside trap to go one on one with Alyssa Harris. The Roar forward made no mistake as she took two touches before calmly slotting past the helpless Sky Blues keeper.

The goal spurred Sydney FC on and the Sky Blues attacked with venom for little reward until Jasmyne Spencer produced one of the goals of the season in the 85th minute to earn a share of the points.

A long free kick from Renee Rollason was fired toward the American who took one touch on her chest before swivelling and volleying into the top corner from 30 yards out to send the crowd wild at Lambert Park.

Late drama ensued in stoppage time as Spencer chased down a clearance from Stewart only to see the rebound bounce harmlessly wide before referee Kate Jacewiz signalled for full time.

Sydney FC next travel to McKellar Park to face Canberra United while the Roar take on Adelaide United at Suncorp Stadium.