Clinical Brisbane beat Fury

Brisbane Roar has beaten North Queensland Fury in Townsville for the first time in the Hyundai A-League – a 2-0 victory extending the club’s unbeaten run to 17 games

Brisbane Roar has beaten North Queensland Fury in Townsville for the first time in the Hyundai A-League – a 2-0 victory extending the club-s unbeaten run to 17 games.

The win stretchs Brisbane-s lead atop the table to 10 points with eight games left in the season to play for the team from the Queensland capital.

Brisbane opened the scoring in the seventh minute though New Zealand international Kosta Barbarouses.

The young Kiwi was played in by a superb ball over the Fury defence by Thomas Broich which allowed the striker to collect the ball, dart around Justin Pasfield in the North Queensland goal and slot into an empty net.

Ivan Franjic went close to doubling the lead seven minutes later when a clearance from a corner bounced his way, but his well struck volley clipped the top of the bar and out for a goal kick.

Fury sounded a warning to Brisbane with 17 minutes gone in the game when space opened in the midfield for Panagiotis Nikas but after running to the edge of the box, the young midfielder pulled his shot wide of the mark.

Two chances in 60 seconds could have dramatically changed the complexion of the game.

At one end Michael Theoklitos was forced into a fantastic save as the ball bounced off a Fury player towards goal with Brisbane breaking immediately down the other end for Mitch Nichols to hit a curling shot at goal which went agonisingly wide of the post.

With 10 minutes left in the half, Theoklitos again kept his side in the lead with a good save down to his right following a shot from Jason Spagnuolo from outside the box.

The Fury effort was followed by chances to Matt McKay and Barbaroues at the other end with the latter drawing a save from Pasfield.

Theoklitos was then again in the action with a good save at his near post from a Simon Storey shot on the angle with a minute to play in the first half.

The Fury came out firing in the second half, pushing Brisbane back into their own penalty area with only some desperate defending by the away side preventing them from having any clear cut opportunities on Theoklitos- goal.

Brisbane gradually worked their way into the contest with Barbarouses and Broich both having efforts at the Fury goal without results.

Jean Carlos Solorzano then went close when he was played in by Broich, but his shot hit the side netting from a tight angle.

The Costa Rican followed that up with a well-struck left-footed shot two minutes later which required a good save from Pasfield to prevent the Roar stretching the lead.

Barbarouses went close on 75 minutes after some patient build-up play ended with Solorzano on the right and his cross was met by his fellow strike partner who could only watch his flick on curve wide of the post.

However, a minute later Barbarouses did double the lead with a neat finish through Pasfield-s legs.

Barbarouses played a one-two with captain Matt McKay in the middle of the park, creating space for him to run at the Fury goal and slot home his ninth goal of the season.

Another great run from Barbarouses provided him with a chance to secure his hat-trick, but after rounding an on-rushing Pasfield, the angle was tight and he was unable to find the target.

The chance proved to be the last real opportunity of the match, but Brisbane had done enough to secure a vital three points in the chase top spot at the end of the season.

Two-goal hero Barbarouses said he felt his side deserved to secure maximum points out of the match in the oppressive conditions .

“It was very difficult but the boys pushed through, we knew it was going to be a tough game here,” Barbarouses said.

“They had a good game mid-week, but we came out strong at the beginning of the first half then we slacked off a little in the middle and towards the end.

“In the second half we were fairly comfortable and I think in the end we deserved the points.”

Barbarouses has now scored three goals in two games and leap-frogged Solorzano to become the leading scorer at the club.

“It-s about time, I went five games without one,” he said.

“But some of the other boys were picking up the slack, but I-m back scoring now and I hope I can continue that heading into the finals.

“The other teams have games in hand, but they obviously have to win those games.

“We just have to keep winning and picking up points and hopefully we can be top at the end of the season.”

North Queesnland Fury
Brisbane Roar (Kosta BARBAROUSES 7-)
Saturday, 18 December 2010
Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville
Referee: Peter Green

North Queensland Fury: 1. Justin PASFIELD (gk), 3. Brad McDONALD, 5. Mark HUGHES, 6. Ufuk TALAY (c), 7. Gareth EDDS, 11. David WILLIAMS, 12. Panagiotis NIKAS (9. Eugene SSEPPUYA 70-), 14. Chris GROSSMAN (15. Chris PAYNE 46-), 16. Simon STOREY, 21. Jason SPAGNUOLO (18. Brett STUDMAN 58-), 24. Ramazan TAVSANCIOGLU

Substitutes not used: 28. Sebastian USAI (gk)

Yellow cards: Brad McDONALD (43-)

Red cards: Nil

Brisbane Roar: 1. Michael THEOKLITOS (gk), 2. Matt SMITH, 3. Luke DEVERE, 5. Ivan FRANJIC, 6. Erik PAARTALU, 7. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 9. Jean Carlos SOLORZANO, 15. Matt McKAY (c) 17. Mitch NICHOLS (8. Massimo MURDOCCA 64-), 22. Thomas BROICH (14. Rocky VISCONTE 78-), 23. Milan SUSAK (4. Shane STEFANUTTO 64-)

Substitutes not used: 20. Andrew REDMAYNE (gk)

Yellow cards: Nil

Red cards: Nil