Last minute goal gives Roar the win

A 90th minute goal from Alastair Quinn has given Brisbane Roar Youth a 2-1 win over Newcastle Jets Youth in a hard fought match at Adamstown Oval on Friday.

A 90th minute goal from Alastair Quinn has given Brisbane Roar Youth a 2-1 win over Newcastle Jets Youth in a hard fought match at Adamstown Oval on Friday.

Goals from Quinn and Matt Thurtell were enough to get the win over a resilient Newcastle Jets outfit, who paid the price for losing two players to red cards in what was a horror ten minutes for the home side.

While the Roar looked to press early with the return of talismanic captain Chris Bush and talented midfielder Luke Brattan to the side, it was the Jets who had the best of the chances early on when Gavin Forbes headed over the bar from close range in the tenth minute.

The Roar were quick to bounce back, when Quinn forced Newcastle goalkeeper Neil Young into a fine save in the 25th minute after an incisive run and shot from the edge of the box.

Both sides had their ‘keepers to thank at the half, after a number of great saves from Young and Roar shot stopper Matt Acton ensured that both sides entered the break at 0-0.

The second stanza started with a bang, the Jets pushing forward desperately looking to take a lead early in the half and were rewarded in the 50th minute with a great solo effort from Kiwi international Jeremy Brockie.

Brockie received the ball just inside his own half before a swerving run through the Brisbane defence was finished off with a pinpoint shot into the corner of the net to give the Jets a 1-0 lead.

However Brisbane refused to lie down, equalising only five minutes later when super sub Matt Thurtell coolly headed into the back of the net after a great lead up play and cross from Bush.

Brisbane got a boost in the 64th minute when Newcastle-s Daniel Laiman payed the price for an errant challenge on Quinn, Laiman given his marching orders from the referee after receiving a second yellow card for the match.

It went from bad to worse for the Jets only eight minutes later when Jesse Pinto unleashed a sickening tackle on Brisbane young gun Ross Archibald, Pinto sent for an early shower with a straight red card.

The Roar looked to immediately take advantage, however it took until the 90th minute when Quinn tapped in at the far post to give the Roar a much deserved win.

Impressed with the way his side kept their composure, Brisbane Roar Head Coach John Sime said that his players showed great poise to maintain their structure over the final stages of the match.

“The boys played really well today and stuck to the game plan, the boys didn-t panic and were rewarded with the win,” said Sime.

“We could have easily been punished for pushing too many players forward after they went down to nine men; however the boys did well by keeping possession and taking advantage of their chances.”

Sime also praised the performance of returning players Chris Bush and Luke Brattan.

“Both those boys worked very hard and put in a decent performance, no question about it they helped us keep it all together when it mattered,” Sime said.

“They both have a big future with the A-League side and I-m always happy to have them in the side.”

Follow Brisbane Roar on Twitter

Follow Brisbane Roar on Facebook