Roar march on to club’s first ever Australia Cup Semi Final

Brisbane Roar capitalised on a fast start to win their Australia Cup Quarter Final at ServiceFM Stadium and eliminate the reigning cup holders Adelaide United.

A seventh minute rocket from Jay O’Shea and Charlie Austin’s first competitive goal for the club were enough to see off the 10-man Reds in their fourth consecutive away fixture in the 2022 edition of the cup.

Head coach Warren Moon was forced to make several changes from the side that beat Avondale on penalties a fortnight ago with Jack Hingert, Tom Aldred, Scott Neville and Jesse Daley dropping out of the starting 11.

In their place came Anton Mlinaric, Louis Zabala, Henry Hore and Jay O’Shea with the Irishman taking the arm band in the absence of Aldred.

Brisbane went close in the fifth minute with a fizzing effort from Riku Danzaki, saved by Reds custodian Joe Gauci.

Not long afterwards, O’Shea finished off a sweeping move started by Charlie Austin with a piledriver from the edge of the box to give the Roar the early advantage.

Brisbane pushed for a second goal soon after with Mileusnic making several challenging runs with efforts from him, Mlinaric, Chapman and Hore either blocked by defenders or saved by Gauci.

Just after the half hour mark, Austin escaped his markers and was able to get on the end of a corner from O’Shea to double the Roar’s advantage.

In the dying minutes of the first half, Adelaide pulled one back with Hiroshi Ibusuki getting on the end of a deflected shot and poked home beyond an onrushing Freke.

The big moment of the second half came 12 minutes after the restart when Adelaide’s goalscorer Ibusuki shown a straight red card for a lunging challenge.

With the man advantage the Roar held their nerve and soaked up Adelaide’s pressure as the hosts chased an equaliser.

Freke was forced into a diving save to stop a long range effort from Isiais and preserve the Roar’s lead.

Brisbane were not without their chances however with Austin forcing a save from Gauci and Hore checked down on the edge of the box by Isiais as he was storming towards the Adelaide goal.

The final score would remain unchanged from halftime and the Roar held the Reds at bay to secure the win and their first ever Australia Cup Semi Final spot.


Adelaide United 1 (Ibusuki 42’) v Brisbane Roar 2 (O’Shea 7’, Austin 31’)
ServiceFM Stadium