Roar Women dominate but share spoils with defending champions


Brisbane Roar has been forced to settle for a point in its opening Westfield W-League encounter with Melbourne City on Tuesday afternoon, playing out a scoreless draw in the season opener.

The Roar dominated large portions of the clash against the defending champions, limiting the visitors attack to rare sights of Georgina Worth’s goal while regularly calling opposition keeper Teagan Micah in to action.

JOIN NOW: Become a Brisbane Roar 2020/21 member

Micah may well have been the difference, making seven saves throughout the match as the Roar peppered the goal at will.

Tameka Yallop came closest early with a shot that rebounded off the crossbar going within inches of crossing the line, before Emily Gielnik was also denied by the woodwork later in the first half.


The Roar blooded a number of club debutants, including NPL Women’s Player of the Year Mariel Hecher and former Perth Glory midfielder Leticia McKenna. Both players had sights at goal in the first half with the latter forcing Micah into a strong one-on-one save.

Jake Goodship’s side continued to dominate after the break with a combination of Micah and the crossbar once again denying Yallop in what was the best chance of the second stanza.

Another two club debutants entered the fray in the final stages in Rosie Sutton and Sharn Freier, but it wasn’t to be as the season opener ended with honours even.

Head Coach Jake Goodship said post-match that the result wasn’t indicative of his team’s dominance and performance.


“The number of good chances we had, it’s disappointing to only get a draw – saying that against Melbourne City is almost unheard of,” Head Coach Jake Goodship said.

“We’re very happy with the performance, disappointed with the result.

“It’s a great platform to build from and it’s a clean sheet.”

The Roar Women face a bye in Round 2 before returning to Dolphin Stadium on January 7 to face Canberra United.

Westfield W-League Round 1: Brisbane Roar vs Melbourne City
Dolphin Stadium, Redcliffe
Tuesday, 29 December

Brisbane Roar 0

Melbourne City 0

Half-time: 0-0