Young Roar back to winning ways


The Young Roar blew out the cobwebs after more than a month on the sidelines with a 3-1 win over Sunshine Coast FC in their PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues clash at Perry Park this afternoon.

The Roar went behind after just 13 minutes as they resumed a campaigned dogged in recent weeks by washouts and rescheduling.

But they levelled the scores in added time of the first half and then took control of the match in the second period to record their third win of the season.

It was only the second loss in nine outings for the Fire.

The Young Roar were captained for the first time by Mitchell Hore, who sealed the victory for his side in the 64th minute when he clinically finished from close range after good work down the left by Luke Pavlou.

“It was a good experience to captain the club. I think it is time I took more responsibility,” Hore said.

“We were a bit shaky in the first five minutes but after that the boys played well and we got the result. It was a good all-round performance.”

The Young Roar showed their growing experience when they failed to panic after Sunshine Coast went ahead in the 13th minute.

After the Roar failed at two attempts to properly clear a corner, the Fire’s Brady Cronk – lurking on the edge of the penalty box – took his chance well to drive in a low shot that rocketed into the goal off the upright.

It took 21 minutes for the Young Roar to get a shot on target, an easily saved attempt from Sammy Sibatuara, but they continued to push the ball around and build momentum.

They were finally rewarded in the third minute of added time in the first half when robust striker Nicholas D’Agostino dribbled across the penalty box and made extra space for himself near the penalty spot.

D’Agostino fired an unstoppable left-foot shot into the Fire goal to level the scores at half-time.

The Fire came out of the break strongly and had two good chances that were parried away by Roar keeper Denver Crickmore.

The Young Roar again refused to panic and their passing game was rewarded when they worked their way down the right before Sibatuara cut inside and put a pinpoint shot into the far bottom corner of the goal for a 2-1 lead.

The Roar dominated from then on and were further rewarded when Pavlou and Hore combined in the 64th minute for Hore to score and give the Young Roar a 3-1 victory.

There was further disappointment for the Fire when substitute Louis Shephard was shown a straight red card by referee Trent Sleeman after a ball-throwing incident in the 83rd minute, just 15 minutes after Shepherd had come into the game.

Brisbane Roar Youth 3 (D’Agostino 45+3′, Sibatuara 49′, Hore 64′)

Sunshine Coast FC 1 (Cronk 13′)

Brisbane Roar FC: Crickmore (gk), Walker (Lyvidikos 70′), Pavlou, S O’Neill, D’Agostino (Dais 67′), Grillo, Sibatuara, Hore, Gorry (Crestani 65′), Ludwik, C O’Neill. Substitutes not used: Daley, Bilic, Bilic (gk)

Yellow cards: Sibatuara 45+2′

Red cards: Nil

Sunshine Coast FC: Hill, Hollingworth, Kinoshita, Ladic, Schultz, Kelly ©, De Chatel, Takahashi, Frew (Shepherd 67′), Cronk (Fulluck 56′), Taylor (Moore 65′). Substitutes not used: Arnison, Carrick.

Yellow cards: Nil

Red card: Louis Shepherd 83′